
Well, what to say this week? Christmas lights are going up all around, carols are evading the radio stations, and the stores bustle with avid shoppers looking for that special something for their loved ones. Yes, I am ushering in the Christmas season. I love the holidays. I love that feeling you get in the pit of your stomach when you skate amongst evergreens with the snow falling and tangling in your eyelashes and all is right in the world because it's Christmas, or when you snuggle up by the fire in an ugly, knit, reindeer sweater to drink cocoa and listen to good ol' Michael Buble croon "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas", or when the scent of freshly baked gingerbread mingles with that of holly. I am a sucker for the stereotypical romantic holiday season, right down to the mistletoe hung above the door. This year, for the first time, I can whole-heartedly, with clear understanding, sing "I'll be home for Christmas." I can long for the snow-covered fields of Saskatchewan. And I can look forward to seeing beloved people I haven't seen in three months. My heart is yearning for the full experience that is my childhood's Christmas, but my heart is warm and my heart is full.
The festivities of the season began with a Thursday evening at the Ladysmith Festival of Lights. There was a parade, fireworks, and a kiss on the North Pole for good luck. Here is where I missed snow the most prevalently of my entire life. I could have cried for want of the fluffy, white stuff. There's something that just isn't the same without it. Friday brought an evening of hand-held skating with the ladies and a couple gents on rented blades. And Saturday, in all its glory, involved a splendid, and successful, day-trip to Vic for banquet dress and gift shopping. Moreover, I've broken out the hymn book and made a crease on the Christmas section. Carol sing-alongs... here we come!
Of course, Christmas was not the sole focus of our week. "Foundations of Church Ministry," as taught by David Lee, was where we committed our day-time hours in the last course of our semester. Oh sad day when we realized this was so. But anyways, here was an intriguing and informative few days. The church has long been a topic of much frustration, passion, and love for myself, and so, this class was monumental in my understanding of the issues and in prompting me to work out my thoughts on them. Dr. Lee offered an encouraging, passionate, and knowledgeable perspective, which I found very helpful, and, in general, I can claim now that this was among my top two classes of the semester.
The week was finished off with the typical Sunday routine. Church in the morning, home for a couple hours in the afternoon, and back to Cobblehill for practice and leadership of the Bridge. Again, an encouraging turn-out was had. With every single new person with which contact is made, I feel an inspiration for the next week. God is pushing and challenging me in this role, but I am learning to love it. To say there aren't days when I am tired and defeated would be lying, but I can feel the Lord working, in me, in this ministry, and in my peers. He offers the most fulfilling and sustaining encouragement I need. And so, resting on this, I continue, content and at peace, while also challenged. This is a good place to be. My love and prayers are with you all, dear friends and family. I look forward to seeing many of you very soon. Thank-you for your support and sincere love.
Blessings,
Jess

2 comments:
Good luck with the snow this year...we have barely any in Frontier! I am really hoping for a white Christmas...its just not the same otherwise.
You are waaay too cute!
Post a Comment