Sunday, November 23, 2008

Taste and See that the Lord is Good

Psalm 34:8... "Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him."

I cannot think of a better verse to describe what this past week has been to me. This week was an experience of repeatedly feeling God's presence all around. The Lord's goodness was, for once, so tangible and real and applicable to life that it was, quite frankly, overwhelming. I know there were tears on my part, as well as on the part of my classmates as we embarked and were victorious in this week's adventure that was.... 24/7 Week of Prayer! Daunting as it sounds, I honestly felt the most growth of the entire year so far within our Kaleo community through this week. I have had some of the most impacting and significant conversations with friends, and I feel like, relationally, we've gone miles. Moreover, this week was a cool opportunity to find rest in the Father and circle back to the centre of what we're here at Kaleo for. There were lessons learned, wills broken, hearts searching, and a definite sense of the Lord's leading. As we took refuge in Him, we experienced a bit of the blessing that Psalm 34 talks about.

This week especially ended up being a week of identity-seeking for me; of realizing who I am, raw and real, in Christ, apart from preconceived notions placed on me over the course of my lifetime as a result of layers of achievements. Essentially, the Lord is breaking me down into my most pure and genuine form. He is showing me who "Jesse" really is, apart from labels and titles and expectations, apart from insecurities and pride, and He is showing me that that little girl is beautiful and desired and full of potential. Even when so much of this world has no clue who I really am (heck, I barely know who I really am), the Father in Heaven knows completely, faults, failures and all, and still loves ridiculously. Don't get me wrong: this is a process of vast proportions and a life-long journey. But it is one I am eager to take, one I am eager to be led through.

On a lighter note, this week wouldn't be Kaleo without the odd leisurely distraction. This week I: saw a movie in a theatre for the first time since August, went to a hockey game and cheered my heart out for a BC team (shocking, I know), enjoyed an open-dorm evening of hall wars, dancing and Wall-e, and wrote a few papers. And then, of course, there's Sunday. This week was truthfully fairly low-key and uneventful in the grande locale of Cobblehill. We stayed a bit after morning church for planning of the Bridge, and returned to practice a bit before the service. This Sunday, we enjoyed a relaxed service of testimony and hymns - ya, we kicked it old-school. Essentially though, I loved it. I love hymns. And so, the evening ended with a warm and fulfilled heart on my own part, despite much lack of sleep the three previous nights. The Lord was definitely working, and there have been a few newer faces coming regularly lately. This has me very much excited. Please, if you could be joining me in prayer for this church, these youth, and those we have the opportunity to witness to, that would be a tremendous blessing. Thanks!

Moreover, I suppose there's not loads to say other than to request one last thing of you: prayer and guidance for the future. In general, I don't feel too rushed in making any decisions in this department, but university application deadlines are looming and this has me thinking much about the matter at hand. Pray that I would approach possible future plans with a desire to complete the Father's will above all things. Thank-you. I love and miss you all, and look forward to seeing many of you at Christmas.

-Jess

1 comment:

Walshy said...

I am glad you are letting God show you your rawest form. You are beautiful and desired..

much love..xoxo