Hello again, dear friends and family. This is, intriguingly enough, my last blog post of 2008 written from here on the Island. Crazy to believe that I fly out towards prairie flatness and snow-storms in just 3 short days. I am rapt with anticipation and excitement; unexpectedly, I feel ready to head home. Yes, these past months have been incredible; indeed, I look so forward to returning for second semester; sure, I know I will miss this place and these people within moments of stepping off the plane, but in this limbo stage I am restless, exhausted and ripe for a break. It will be good to be home: to see familiar and forgotten faces, to celebrate the birth of our Lord, and to rest and be refreshed while seeking some new perspective and direction. I am ready.
This past week was wonderfully heart-warming and wrenchingly heart-breaking all at the same time. We participated in all the typical pre-Christmas festivities which, to me, make up the bulk of the joy we derive from the season. These were tremendously enjoyed, yet brought on a new wave of homesickness I had not yet experienced, and awakened me to this restless yearning for a break involving true holiday spirit reminiscent of my childhood. At 18, I'm feeling like I'm getting old and nostalgic with the simple mention of tree decorating, or Christmas baking, or snow-sledding. Crazy. So anyways, this week consisted largely of Christmas-related activities: tree hunt and decorating, the watching of the Muppet's Christmas Carol, serving at a Senior's Christmas banquet in town, carol sing-alongs around the piano, and a talent show to boot. Much of the week outside of this was fairly void of activity. Lots of opportunity for homework, right - needless to say, this oppotunity has yet to be taken advantage of. We also enjoyed a girls/guys night, with us ladies enjoying a day hike, hot-tubbing, specialty coffee, kebobs, worship and sharing, story-telling, sense and sensibility, and a decadent brunch. These times of solely female interaction have become dear to me, and as we approach going our separate ways for the holidays, it is monumental knowing there are 15 ladies who love you like a sister that are sincerely devoted to praying for you. Wow.
Anyways, before we have to break out the Kleenex box... to close things off there were some final commitments to be had at Cobblehill. Friday's arrival brought with it a sense of dread, for what else did we do that night but.... go polar bear swimming! In December, for Pete's sake! We went to Lake Shawnigan with the youth, jumped in, and scooted out in what I'm sure was record time. Two words for this experience: ridiculous and invigorating (and therefore, not entirely negative. I may be convinced to participate again). We followed this with hot cocoa, tim tam slams, and an outdoor fire. Sunday, then, involved myself singing and playing the piano with the worship team for the morning church service, and planning and leading a year-end Christmas-oriented Bridge service. It was a full, but nonetheless satisfying day. With that, I am looking greatly forward to what the new year has to bring in this ministry opportunity.
Gosh, I'm feeling like this post is scattered and rambling, so for that I apologize and will now promptly close. The Lord has been screaming redemption to me over and over again lately, but that is an avenue I lack the focus to truly devote to right now, so more on that next week. I look forward to seeing many of you within a week, so maybe I can better communicate myself then. I love and miss you all! Sincere thanks again for all your support and prayers.
- Jess
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I'm gonna miss you, Jesse! Enjoy your christmas break! xoxoxo
Enjoy home! Enjoy Christmas! Enjoy peace and relaxation! Merry Christmas love!
jesse! i found your blog... this is "cousin" suzy, in case you didn't know...
Post a Comment