Hello again from the West Coast! So... I have a feeling this post might be a little shorter than my previous two, as there was a little less going on this past week. Nonetheless, this is a GOOD thing! This past week we had our first actual course, when a professor flew out here to teach us Monday to Friday from 9-4. This translates to: Big, long days of sitting at a table; very reminiscent of typical schools for once. Marv Penner came out to teach us Spiritual Formations, a class in which we learned to strive towards growth in and love for the Lord. Essentially, it involved a lot of discussion on different spiritual matters, and exploring of different spiritual disciplines in more depth than we might experience on our own (such as prayer, solitude, etc.). Basically, in this class we were challenged about the general basis of our faith, to ensure that we're truly chasing after God, and to simply gain some perspective on how we can live with Him as the focus in this busy, crazed world of ours. Marv was an incredible teacher, whom we all felt very comfortable with and mentored by. I didn't even fall asleep once in his class! (That being said, I didn't really fall asleep in high school either. What I'm trying to say is that he kept things interesting.)
I enjoyed this past week a lot, mostly because it was finally an opportunity to delve into routine. As strange as it sounds, it was refreshing to have an adventureless week to rejuvenate ourselves and get a taste of what a lot of this year will be like from here on out. It was a cool chance to get to hang out more with our peers here at the camp, to start in on the late-night "study" groups, and to get the place really "lived in." My room officially looks much the same as my room back home did when I left (a pig-sty) and I'm already putting into effect the procrastination clause. I guess old habits die hard. Let's see... these are just a few fun things that were experienced by the college students of K-6 this week: trips to Superstore (because Wal-Mart is "heathen." haha) to buy oh-so-nutritious goodies such as confetti icing and teddi-grahams, eating pistachios, after-supper beach volleyball, dish pit (maybe not so fun), skype (with some new, much-needed limitations), fooseball competitions, fireside (in which a few students go to a Qwanoes staff members' house to hang out for a few hours... my group played Disney's Scene-It at the camp director's house and ate ice-cream!), experiments with the ora-gel of yours truly (if you think of it, prayer for some certain wisdom teeth of mine that have chosen to painfully impose themselves on my mouth would be appreciated... thanks), wrestling competition in the lounge, trips to the dock, late-night soccer, girls' floor dancing, cleaning dressed as superheroes, tea-drinking, a 9-hour power outage, some amazing student-planned chapel services, hot-tubbing, and a LOT of rain (break out the rubber boots!). Good times. I'm still loving it here, and though I'm often ridiculously exhausted, its usually my own fault because I lack discernment in regards to bedtimes. Haha...
This past weekend managed to return to the busyness I've become so accustomed to (Have I really only been here for three and a half weeks?!). On Saturday night, I attended a sleepover at my church, Cobblehill Baptist, with the youth. We played a night game around the town, then played some gorgon inside. We ate lots of food, and watched "Wallis and Grommit", and attacked the boys with pillows. And then... we stayed up til all hours telling stories about boys, giving foot massages, and just being goofy girls. Good times.. but I fear I've been getting a few too many opportunities to act like a goofy girl lately; apparently this is what having roommates does to you. See above posted picture of me and my roommates, Jayme and Malayne! Our favorite pastimes include dance parties to Abba and Keith Green, chatting with boys out the window, eating icing out of the can, and failing to clean (props go to Malayne for cleaning the bathroom finally last Thursday). Anyways, back from the tangent... we got up Sunday morning, had some breakfast, and headed to church. This Sunday we had church at the new structure they're in the process of building for Cobblehill. It is beautiful, and though it was a little chilly having church somewhat outdoors, it was a great service. I'm really enjoying my time at this church, and am starting to feel really comfortable with these people. The Lord is so hugely at work, and I find myself challenged every Sunday by the pastor's message. After church, we came home briefly, and then headed right back to Cobblehill to prepare for and carry out "The Bridge," which is a youth worship service we're heading up there. Though there was a very small turnout, it was a great opportunity for us to prepare for future Bridges, and to grow as a ministry team. I'm excited. The Lord's potential sometimes floors me, and I'm so psyched to see how he puts that into use. I've found this church completely echoes a lot of my recent thoughts on religion and spirituality, so my brain's been churning pretty consistently. Cool how God has His hand in the tiniest things, right down to which church little Jesse Gronhovd decides to go to.
And finally, I suppose its time for me to close. So much for a short post, eh. Here's wishing you all the most excellent Thanksgiving holiday ever! Wish I could be there with you! Eat too much.. and think of me. haha. I'm so far planning on staying here at the camp with the other prairie and ontario kids. We're having Thanksgiving dinner on Monday night, and might try to go to a concert, bungee jumping, or shopping on Saturday or something, just to make things interesting. I'm also leaving tomorrow to go surfing on the west coast of the island at Tofino, so I would appreciate any of your prayers for safety and good weather. Thanks so much!! I love and miss you all!
- Jess (in yellow rubber boots).

No comments:
Post a Comment