
So... haha. Here goes nothing, right. Post Numero UNO! (drumroll please!)
I'm sitting here trying very hard to procrastinate doing homework... quite unsuccessfully. I've found its kinda hard to find good excuses to not work when everyone else around you is uber-motivated for the cause. But anyways, thats a story for another day. This is the story of my first week (plus a bit) as prairie girl turned island dweller. Simply put: Jesse Loves BC! I mean, sure, it was rough that the Roughriders had to lose the game on Saturday (their first game against BC from which I was truly hoping to gain some sweet bragging rights and support for my somewhat obnoxious smacktalk). Alas, life goes on.. in challenging and tremendous and awe-inspiring experiences, and simple, common, day-to-day roteness.
If I may, I'd like to throw something out there that has been resounding in my head for the past couple days; something I've always known to be true and almost accepted completely for granted; something so simple, you almost have to make yourself recognize how fundamentally awesome it is or you'll completely miss it. That being: God is SO good! Like really, I just can't get over it. He is so powerful, so all-knowing, so present and providing - it drives me crazy (in the best way possible).
Let me give some examples where He has proven this to me over and over since I got here.
1) He brought me here! Unscathed and thriving, he provided me with safe transportation, comforting people to ease me into this crazy new lifestyle, and he let my extra shipped luggage come merely one day late (only slight tension there). Also, he has provided me with excellent health since I got here. I've waved farewell, for the most part, to the wonderful cough that pursued me so diligently while still in good ol' Skatch. What's more, he's helping me quickly get over my tendency to be prone to car-sickness in the winding mountainous island roads. Cool.
2) He has created this program and placed us specific people into it for huge purpose. He has so quickly allowed us to grow as a community, in love and unity - I already fear my heart will break when I have to say goodbye to these people, even if that be merely for one sole weekend! The drive among us is amazing too - It's so great to be a part of a group that is all working towards the same goal: merely trying to serve the Lord whole-heartedly. Wow. Praise be to the Lord!
3) He provided for me ministry opportunities in which I can be used by Him effectively and in good stewardship of those gifts He's given me. I will be serving in a church here on the island called Cobblehill Baptist Church, helping with a youth worship and instruction service Sunday nights, being involved in general church community, and basically just making connections and relationships with people. For this, I am extremely excited. There is especially a really great opportunity for me in this church to have a cool time with some of the younger teen girls, so I'm really looking forward to that. I know it will be stretching, but goodness' knows I didn't come here to stick in the comfort zone, right? I also have the opportunity to serve here at the camp where my school takes place, helping with music, counselling at retreats, doing random chores and such, helping with games, and doing things like supervising the water and belaying on the challenge course.
4) He takes us on crazy adventures of the body and soul. Case in point, climbing the splendid grandeur of Mount Albert Edward, one of the largest mountains on Vancouver Island. We did a three day backpacking/hiking trip to the summit from this past Monday to Wednesday, covering approximately 34 km and 7000 ft in elevation. Here was where God's goodness really hit me. We were blessed with beautiful weather, and by Wednesday night, we all rode home, packed and sweaty in 15-passenger vans, with smiles of content triumph and achievement etched on our exhausted faces. What a huge challenge! This climb was probably the most physically difficult thing I've ever done in my life.... and I LOVED IT! Not only did God use this trip as a huge opportunity for our student body to bond as brothers and sisters in Christ, but he forced us to rely on him completely, to seek our mountain-climbing strength from Him. And, true to His word always, He never disappointed. We all climbed it - with determination, and the help of Him and each other. As I stood at the peak of that mountain, arms thrust upward into the air, breathing in the refreshing freedom that comes from knowing our Father and accomplishing much through Him, and gazing in wonder at the indescribably beautiful scenery surrounding me, I found it impossible to contain my tears. We serve a great God, who speaks to us through a swift mountain wind, an encouraging hug from a peer, a twinkling of stars reflected in a remote lake, a scattering of boiulders and glacial snow in September. I am in awe... of Him, of His creation, and of the potential of His beloved (US!).
I guess thats about it for now. Some of you are probably also asking, "I thought she went to a Bible School. Where's the classes? Where's the structure? Surely this can't be all fun and games." Truth be told, do not fear. I am working. Though we haven`t had any courses yet, we have quite a hefty list of homework already on the go (all pre-course work). Ick. So, between that and orientation stuff, and all of the above, plus probably a lot more that I`m forgetting, we`ve been ridiculously, and marvelously busy. So, forgive me if I`ve forgotten anything crucial. Please ask me questions if you have them! And, if you think of it, I would love it, and God would love it if yàll would pray for us all here at Kaleo: for safety and health (we have the flu going around. so far so good for me though), for sensitive listening to the Lord`s call on us this year, and for the impact we would make on every person we come in contact with, that they would be able to see this goodness of our God that I speak of through our actions and want to experience that same love. Also, we leave early Monday morning for a week-long sailing trip on the ocean with an organization called ``Salts.`` I`m majorly looking forward to it, but prayers for safety, no sea-sickness, and general group bonding would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks so much again. I hope all is well wherever you are and for whomever you love, and maybe even those you don`t. All my love! XOXO
I'm sitting here trying very hard to procrastinate doing homework... quite unsuccessfully. I've found its kinda hard to find good excuses to not work when everyone else around you is uber-motivated for the cause. But anyways, thats a story for another day. This is the story of my first week (plus a bit) as prairie girl turned island dweller. Simply put: Jesse Loves BC! I mean, sure, it was rough that the Roughriders had to lose the game on Saturday (their first game against BC from which I was truly hoping to gain some sweet bragging rights and support for my somewhat obnoxious smacktalk). Alas, life goes on.. in challenging and tremendous and awe-inspiring experiences, and simple, common, day-to-day roteness.
If I may, I'd like to throw something out there that has been resounding in my head for the past couple days; something I've always known to be true and almost accepted completely for granted; something so simple, you almost have to make yourself recognize how fundamentally awesome it is or you'll completely miss it. That being: God is SO good! Like really, I just can't get over it. He is so powerful, so all-knowing, so present and providing - it drives me crazy (in the best way possible).
Let me give some examples where He has proven this to me over and over since I got here.
1) He brought me here! Unscathed and thriving, he provided me with safe transportation, comforting people to ease me into this crazy new lifestyle, and he let my extra shipped luggage come merely one day late (only slight tension there). Also, he has provided me with excellent health since I got here. I've waved farewell, for the most part, to the wonderful cough that pursued me so diligently while still in good ol' Skatch. What's more, he's helping me quickly get over my tendency to be prone to car-sickness in the winding mountainous island roads. Cool.
2) He has created this program and placed us specific people into it for huge purpose. He has so quickly allowed us to grow as a community, in love and unity - I already fear my heart will break when I have to say goodbye to these people, even if that be merely for one sole weekend! The drive among us is amazing too - It's so great to be a part of a group that is all working towards the same goal: merely trying to serve the Lord whole-heartedly. Wow. Praise be to the Lord!
3) He provided for me ministry opportunities in which I can be used by Him effectively and in good stewardship of those gifts He's given me. I will be serving in a church here on the island called Cobblehill Baptist Church, helping with a youth worship and instruction service Sunday nights, being involved in general church community, and basically just making connections and relationships with people. For this, I am extremely excited. There is especially a really great opportunity for me in this church to have a cool time with some of the younger teen girls, so I'm really looking forward to that. I know it will be stretching, but goodness' knows I didn't come here to stick in the comfort zone, right? I also have the opportunity to serve here at the camp where my school takes place, helping with music, counselling at retreats, doing random chores and such, helping with games, and doing things like supervising the water and belaying on the challenge course.
4) He takes us on crazy adventures of the body and soul. Case in point, climbing the splendid grandeur of Mount Albert Edward, one of the largest mountains on Vancouver Island. We did a three day backpacking/hiking trip to the summit from this past Monday to Wednesday, covering approximately 34 km and 7000 ft in elevation. Here was where God's goodness really hit me. We were blessed with beautiful weather, and by Wednesday night, we all rode home, packed and sweaty in 15-passenger vans, with smiles of content triumph and achievement etched on our exhausted faces. What a huge challenge! This climb was probably the most physically difficult thing I've ever done in my life.... and I LOVED IT! Not only did God use this trip as a huge opportunity for our student body to bond as brothers and sisters in Christ, but he forced us to rely on him completely, to seek our mountain-climbing strength from Him. And, true to His word always, He never disappointed. We all climbed it - with determination, and the help of Him and each other. As I stood at the peak of that mountain, arms thrust upward into the air, breathing in the refreshing freedom that comes from knowing our Father and accomplishing much through Him, and gazing in wonder at the indescribably beautiful scenery surrounding me, I found it impossible to contain my tears. We serve a great God, who speaks to us through a swift mountain wind, an encouraging hug from a peer, a twinkling of stars reflected in a remote lake, a scattering of boiulders and glacial snow in September. I am in awe... of Him, of His creation, and of the potential of His beloved (US!).
I guess thats about it for now. Some of you are probably also asking, "I thought she went to a Bible School. Where's the classes? Where's the structure? Surely this can't be all fun and games." Truth be told, do not fear. I am working. Though we haven`t had any courses yet, we have quite a hefty list of homework already on the go (all pre-course work). Ick. So, between that and orientation stuff, and all of the above, plus probably a lot more that I`m forgetting, we`ve been ridiculously, and marvelously busy. So, forgive me if I`ve forgotten anything crucial. Please ask me questions if you have them! And, if you think of it, I would love it, and God would love it if yàll would pray for us all here at Kaleo: for safety and health (we have the flu going around. so far so good for me though), for sensitive listening to the Lord`s call on us this year, and for the impact we would make on every person we come in contact with, that they would be able to see this goodness of our God that I speak of through our actions and want to experience that same love. Also, we leave early Monday morning for a week-long sailing trip on the ocean with an organization called ``Salts.`` I`m majorly looking forward to it, but prayers for safety, no sea-sickness, and general group bonding would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks so much again. I hope all is well wherever you are and for whomever you love, and maybe even those you don`t. All my love! XOXO

1 comment:
Jesse girl! I am glad to hear that you are listening and feeling God everywhere so far. My prayer for you this Saturday is to stand firm in the truth, trusting God in everything you will encounter, and showing the beautiful spirit of God that is inside of you to all that you come into contact with. May you always know and remember the God who brought you to BC and will bring you through whatever is to come. And remember this "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." Hebrews 12:2
Have fun chicky!
Love Sarah
Post a Comment